Whether you are planning to give birth at home or at the hospital, it is always good to be prepared with the hospital bag well in advance. Wherever you give birth, keep in mind you may have to go to the hospital. It is important to have necessary items in the hospital bag for yourself, your baby and your partner. There is always a question, what should we pack in the hospital bag and that leads to the last minute confusions. Do not worry, we have made a handy checklist for you. The list will give you a good idea of what to bring to the hospital.
When do you start packing the hospital bag?
The labor can start anytime after 37th week of pregnancy. So our advice is to start packing around 34th week so that the bag is ready with essential items before the labor starts. With this you have enough time that you do not forget those cute little clothes you bought for the baby.
No stress of rushing to find all the things together and forgetting half of the things will not happen. Preparing early gives you a peace of mind and let you focus on what is important : bringing your baby into this new world.
You probably have a lot on your mind right now on what to pack and what not. Here is our handy checklist with all the tips that will help you to pack better.
The most important to pack are the documents. Do not forget them at the last moment.
- Hospital Card : Patient id card for hospital (if applicable)
- Hospital file
- ID card
- Birth plan (not necessary, only if you have one)
During the delivery
- A comfortable long gown/night gown or Tshirt (upto the length of knee)
- A bottle of water
- distraction for you (a magazine, books, songs on smartphones whatever interests you)
- an elastic band to tie your hair
- Something to eat or drink
After the Delivery (for yourself)
- Underwear and a bra (some people prefer a nursing bra, some do not prefer to wear a bra right away, its upto you)
- Bath slippers and a bathrobe or a bath towel
- Clean clothes or another pair of night gown (whatever you feel is comfortable)
- A phone and Charger or a Camera (you can click the photos after the delivery)
- plastic bag for your dirty clothes
- Nipple shield if the baby is not latching properly for breastfeed
- Food and drink
- Warm socks or a shawl (only if you feel very cold)
After the Delivery (for the baby)
- 2 pair of full body suit for the baby is a quick choice instead of a separate top and bottom – Size 50/56. Choice is yours.
- socks and hat – Size 50/56
- A blanket to keep the baby warm
- A baby car seat so you can take your baby home safely (its not mandatory in India but good to see your baby safe in a car seat)
- Diapers & Wipes (some hospitals provides these but not all of them. Check with hospital)
- Formula milk (just in case baby is having issues in latching)
- Loose or comfortable clothing
- Towel or wash clothes
- Book or laptop or tablet or smartphone to keep you busy
- Snacks and drinks
Pregnancy is a wonderful time. Despite the many to-do’s and don’ts, you should enjoy it and not let yourself be stressed. With a good organization you can perform all important tasks and you have enough time to look forward to the arrival of your child. Good luck !